Followers

Saturday, April 7, 2012

A Day to Remember



By Carl M. Namahoe…2/2010


Yesterday was a day that I will never forget. My Dad was busy moving things from place to place. He was loyal, obedient and committed to his family and his work.  He was strong and did all the heavy lifting and never complained. He said it gave him great joy to please the master and reminded me that one day I will be called on to do the same. I stared at him with a perplexed look on my face as if to say “Really father, I’m going to work alongside of you?” He looked at me then slowly turned and went back to work. I went back doing what I was doing which really amounted to nothing. A few minutes pass and my friend Jeri came to visit. His name is Jeremiah but I call him “Jeri”, I suppose that’s just the way we kids do things. Dad always called him Jeremiah and gave me a stern look whenever I called him Jeri. Anyway, Jeri said have you heard the news?
 “What news?” I said.
He said, “There’s a man going around performing many tricks.”
“Tricks, what kind of tricks?”
Jeri clears his throat and said “The word is that he healed the sick and made the blind to see. He even made that nut that lives in the cave on the outside of town better.”
“What do you mean better?”
“Well, do you remember how the nut would come out and chase people and yell at them and how people would fear him? Well he’s not doing that anymore. As a matter of fact, it’s said that whatever was bothering him is now in a bunch of pigs and, get this; they all ran into the sea and drowned. Man, talk about chaos.”
“Oh yeah and the owner was upset and began jumping up and down; screaming with hands and arms flailing in the air. And the words coming out of his mouth…well let’s just say, I can’t repeat them.”
Then, Jeri’s heard his mother calling him to come home, so he said goodbye and off he went. I stood there thinking about everything Jeri shared and wondered, “Who can this be?” Suddenly a thought entered my mind and instantly the adrenalin in my body took over and I began to shake. Could this be the One my dad told me about many years ago?  Is it possible?
As I remember the story goes like this: Dad and the others were in Bethlehem on a business trip, something called a “census.” I have no idea what that is. Dad said that it was a demand put upon the people of the region. He said it had been a long hard journey, especially for the woman who was with child. When they arrived, they learned every available room had been taken but they could stay in the stable. Everyone was tired and dad said the man did his best to make the woman comfortable. They all settled in for a well deserved rest and sometime during the night the woman went into labor and a male child was born. Then, as if by design, all the creatures came over to view the Child and began shouting, “He is here the “Special One” of God has come.”
My thought was broken by the voice of my dad calling me. He said the master needed me. I was a little surprise because the master always worked with dad. But now he has called me? I’m a little confused and looked at my dad. He simply said “You are called for such a time as this.” I have no idea what those words mean but the master and I made a quick exit. I’m thinking where are we going? Why are there so many people out here today? Don’t they have work to do? Then I saw Him; plain in stature and unassuming. Yet there was calm about Him that I cannot explain. The master approached Him and before I knew it, He is on my back and I walked down a path covered with palm leaves. The air is full of excitement. The shouts of joy from the crowd of men, women and children are deafening. I’m overwhelmed by excitement and almost stumbled. All along I’m thinking, “This is a day that I will never forget.”
Later that day the master and I returned and Dad is waiting. I told him everything…I cannot control my excitement. He looked at me and said “We were called for such a time as this. I carried Him to Bethlehem and you carried Him into the city for all to see. I experienced the joy of the birth of God’s “Special One” and you, my son, experienced the joys of the people He came to save.” This is a day to remember.

1 comment:

  1. Nice job Carl. It's so good to see you adding regularly to your blog!

    ReplyDelete